West Timor - Indonesia
Places of Interest in West Timor
Other Indonesian locations
|West Timor is
part of the Nusa Tenggara Islands of Indonesia. The capital city of West
Timor is Kupang. Kupang is described as the gateway to eastern Indonesia.
Kupang specialises in textiles including the local ikat cloths. Local markets have many stalls selling these textiles as well as carvings and handmade jewelry. Once of the best markets in Kupang is Pasar Inpres located off Jln Soeharto.
Kupang's Provincial Museum has an excellent display of ikat cloths from the Nusa Tenggara region, musical instruments, weapons and wooden and stone carvings,
The oldest church in Kupang is the Gereja Kota Kupang which was originally built in 1873, close to the downtown bus terminal. The church was reconstructed in 1987.
Getting there and away
Pelita Air has direct flights from Kupang to Maumere and also to Surabaya. www.pelita-air.com
Pelni ships have ferries that go to Kupang from Denpasar, Ende, Kalabahi, Larantuka and Lembar. www.pelni.com
Last updated 5th July 2009
Following is a list of hotels in Kupang with contact details:
Hotel Maliana is an inexpensive budget hotel on Jln Sumatera Kupang. Tel: (0381) 821 8879
Hotel Sasando is a 3 star hotel with genuine service. Located on Jln Kartini No 1 Kupang. Tel: (0381) 833 334.
Kristal Hotel is a quality beachside hotel. Located on Jln Timor Timur 59 Kupang. Tel: (0381) 825 100.
Orchard Garden Hotel
Pantai Timor Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide