South Kalimantan - Indonesia
Highlights * Banjarmasin * Long Houses * Dayak Villages
Places of interest in South Kalimantan
Places of Interest in Kalimantan
Other Indonesian locations
South Kalimantan is often referred to as the land of a thousand rivers. The Barito River, the largest and longest in Indonesia, 900km long and up to 1km wide, travels through South Kalimantan, through Banjarmasin into the Java sea.
South Kalimantan is divided into 11 regencies listed below with their capital cities.
The population of South Kalimantan is around 2.5 Million people.
The capital city of South Kalimantan and the largest is Banjarmasin. The highlights of Banjarmasin are the Grand Mosque, one of the best in Kalimantan, the Martapura river which is the hub of life in Banjarmasin. the floating markets and the series of canals
Off the coast of South Kalimantan is Laut Island or Pulua Laut, the capital being Kotabaru.
Last updated 22nd March 2009
The Martapura river in Banjarmasin.
Kalimantan is crossed over by the equator and the temperature is hot all year, around 30 - 38 degrees Celsius during the day.
The best time to travel to Kalimantan is June, July, August and September which is considered the dry season though still expect some rain.
In the monsoon season, December through to March you still will get sunny days though every evening there is usually a downpour. Around this time it is extremely hot and humid when the sun is shining.
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide