Solo - Java - Indoneisa
Places of Interest in Java
Other Indonesian locations
is located in Central Java close to
in 1745 the Surakarta Kraton, home to the ruler, was relocated to Solo from Kartasura.
The Grand Mosque, built in 1750 by the Sunan Pakubuwana III, is located on the west side of the North Square, Alun-alun lor. Within the middle of North Square are 2 sacred Banyan trees.
Just west of the Grand Mosque is the Klewer Market which is Java's largest textile markets selling all types of wooven and printed cottons, silks and linen fabrics. There is also a large variety of batiks for sale. The markets are within a 3 story building with countless small stalls.
In the western part of Solo city is Sriwedari Park which has amusement rides and food stalls. There are nightly performances of 'Wayang Orang' dance dramas.
To the east of Sriwedari Park is the Radya Pustaka Museum with a huge display of puppets from Java, Bali and Thailand. The museum was built in 1890 by the Dutch colonial government
Getting there and away
Adi Sumarmo International Airport have a variety of airlines to choose from for internal flights within Indonesia as well as international flights to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.
Air Asia have direct flights to and from Solo and Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur. www.airasia.com
Last updated 26th April 2009
Sol Inn Hotel is conveniently located in Solo city, close to the business and shopping district.
Indah Palace Hotel is a 3 star boutique hotel. It is located close to the business and shopping distict. The hotel has free WiFi wireless internet access. Room prices from US$36 per night. www.hotelindahpalace.com
The Sunan Hotel is located 15 minutes from the Adi Sumarmo International Airport, offering free WiFi wireless internet access and a great Japanese Restaurant. Room prices from US$90+ per night. www.thesunanhotelsolo.com
Hotel Sahid Jaya is the newest 5 star business hotel in Solo.
Lor In Hotel is a 5 star hotel in Solo.
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide