Riau Islands - Indonesia
Places of Interest in Riau Islands
Other Indonesian locations
|The Riau Islands
are a group of around 3214 Islands, part of the Riau Province of Sumatra
Indonesia. Over 700 of these are uninhabited and many do not have names as
they are so small.
These islands have been quickly developed over the last 20 years. Beach resorts and hotels as well have golf courses have sprung up to cater for Singaporeans and expats living in Singapore.
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
There are some decent reefs off the coast of Bintan close to many of the resorts with a variety of sea life and corals. Fish types include clown fish and butterfly fish and you may be lucky enough to see some of the larger sea life including stingrays. The best time for scuba diving and snorkeling is between April and October when the water quality is best due to less rainfall.
You will not need a boat to get to these reefs as most are only a short swim from the beach. Most resorts have snorkeling equipment for hire.
There are a number of PADI certified dive operators who can arrange boat trips to reach reefs further out and also for dive courses.
Last updated 11th March 2009
How to get to the Riau Islands
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide