Pangkalanbun - Central Kalimantan
Places to vist in Central Kalimantan
Places of Interest in Kalimantan
Other Indonesian locations
Pangkalanbun is a busy little town which is the best place to get access
to the Tanjung Puting National Park. It's located in Central Kalimantan.
There is little to do in Pangkalanbun except for catch up on your internet and change money though this needs to be done at a bank during week days as there is no sign of money changers within the town. Generally it is not geared up for tourists and very few people speak English.
In the centre of town is Istana Kuning, a longhouse built entirely of iron wood.
There are a few internet cafes in town offering connections for 5000Rp per hour. If you have a laptop computer they will let you plug your laptop in their network to gain access at the same cost. There are regular power cuts, several a day and night though these only last a few minutes at most.
To get to the Tanjung Puting National Park you first need to get to the village of Kumai about 30km from Pangkalanbun. You can catch a speed boat from Pangkalanbun along the river to Kumai though it is cheaper to get a bus or someone to take you on their motorbike for around 20,000Rp.
Getting there and away
There is a small airport in Pangkalanbun with direct flights to Jakarta as well as other towns and cities in Kalimantan. There is a departure tax of 10,000Rp payable at the airport.
Merpati Air has the most frequent flights to Jakarta.
Linus air has direct flights from Pangkalanbun to Jakarta everyday leaving at 3.35pm. Prices start from 927,500Rp. www.linusairways.co.id
Kalstar Aviation has daily flights to following cities in Kalimantan:
P.Bun - Bangarmasin 10am 599,700Rp
P.Bun - Pontianak 1pm 599,700Rp
P.Bun - Sampit 10am 272,600Rp
P.Bun - Ketapan 1pm 426,000Rp
Last updated 7th December 2009
Hotels in Palangalanbun
Losmen Selecta, located just off the main street on Jl. P. Antasari. Ph: (0532) 21526. Prices are 40,000Rp for one person or 50,000Rp for 2 people.
Losmen Nirwana, located on the main street in Pangkalanbun, Jl. Pangeran Antasara. Cost is 50,000Rp for a twin bed room.
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide