Palangkaraya - Central Kalimantan
Places to vist in Central Kalimantan
Places of Interest in Kalimantan
Other Indonesian locations
the capital of Central Kalimantan. It's name
means 'sacred place'.
There is nothing of particular interest to see or do in Palangakaraya though it is a good stop over point on the long journey between Banjarmasin in South Kalimantan and the Tanjung Puting National Park in Central Kalimantan. Directly the trip would take 16 hours by bus. Palangkaraya is 4 hours by bus from Banjarmasin.
The Kahayan River (600Km long) passes right next to Palangkaraya.
For a capital city of a province, Palangkaraya is mostly a one main street town. One of the more interesting buildings in Palangkaraya is the main mosque in the centre of town on Jl. Yani.
There are night markets (Pesar Malam) on Jl. Halmahara, just off Jl. Yani, selling mostly Indonesian style clothes, jewelry, DVDs and CDs and fruit.
Main street of Palangkaraya
How to get to Palangkaraya
Buses out of Palangkaraya
There is a bus ticket office on Jl. Bandar. Buses will collect you from this ticket office.
Buses to Sampit leave around 3.30pm and take over 5 hours. Tickets are 60,000Rp for an air-conditioned bus or 45,000Rp for economy with no air-conditioning.
Buses to Banjarmasin take around 4 hours and cost 45,000Rp.
Sriwijaya Air has direct flights from Palangkaraya to Jakarta.
Last updated 9th March 2009
Hotels in Palangkaraya
Most of the accommodation in Palangkaraya is fairly basic. Following are a list of hotels including contact details, 2009 prices and reviews from other travelers.
Losmen Putir Sinta is backpacker style accommodation located on Jl. Nias down near the river. Starts from 33,000Rp. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Hotel Mahkota is a budget hotel with prices from 44,000Rp per night. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Hotel Mina is a budget hotel located on Jl. Nias down towards the river. Prices start from 50,000Rp. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Yanti Hotel is a budget hotel with prices from 55,000Rp per night. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Hotel Dian Wisata is a budget hotel with prices from 90,000Rp per night. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Hotel Banama Tingang. Prices start from 100,000Rp per night. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Hotel Lampung located on the main street of Palangkaraya, Jl. Yani. Prices start from 228,000Rp. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
Hotel Sakura located on the main street of Palangkaraya, Jl. Yani. Prices start from 235,000Rp. For picture, prices and contact details click here.
There are a few shops that offer Internet connections. Plasa Telkom on Jl. Yani has wireless hotspot for 5000Rp per hour though you have to purchase a starter pack for 27,500 which gives you your userid and password to access the network. Next door to here is ICC Net which has desktop based internet connections for rent.
There are a few ATM machines though no money changers.
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide