Kumai - Central Kalimantan
Places to vist in Central Kalimantan
Places of Interest in Kalimantan
Other Indonesian locations
Kumai is a river side village, the gateway to
Tanjung Puting National Park. There would be no reason what so ever to
visit Kumai if it wasn't for the National Park. It is a drab, dirty
village with no personality and that includes the people.
Few people speak English in this town and the PHPA office, where you get your Park Permit, is usually unattended. Prices for a permit start from 127,500Rp for a one day permit. They charge an extra fee of 50,000Rp to take your camera or 150,000Rp to take a video camera. There are also additional cost of 50,000Rp for a trip (not sure why this differs to the permit) and another 50,000Rp for your boat to dock at one of the 4 camps.
The one guide I found to go into the park found it very difficult to calculate costs for going to the park for any amount of time. He told me that there was only 1 place to stay in the park and that cost 1,000,000Rp per night. He also wanted to charge 800,000Rp for a boat trip for one day into the park as well as charge 100,000Rp for one day of food. When you can buy a meal for about 7,000Rp anywhere else in Kalimantan.
For a world class tourist attraction like Tanjung Puting there is no tourist infrastructure setup to easily get to the park. In my opinion, if you want to see Orangutan you are better of going to Sumatra and visit Bukit Lawang or Ketembe or up to Sabah in East Malaysia.
You can get someone to take you on their motorbike to Pangkalanbun for 20,000Rp around a 20 minute trip.
Last updated 7th December 2008
Accommodation/Hotels in Kumai
Losmen Aloha is backpacker style accommodation on the main street of Kumai overlooking the river. Prices start from 35,000Rp for a single bed room.
Garuda Hotel is a budget hotel on Jl. Gerilya No. 377. Kumai. Ph: (0532) 61145. Prices from 70,000Rp.
Hotel Mentari is a budget hotel located on Jl. Gerilya in Kumai. Prices start from 100,000Rp.
Hotel Melati Mutiari II is a budget hotel located across the road from Losmen Aloha. Prices starting from 80,000Rp.
Losmen Permata Hijau is located on the main street of Kumai. Prices start from 100,000Rp per night.
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide